Sunday, March 28, 2010

Menu Plan Monday - I Don't Wanna!


Ever have one of those days? I'm having it today. Head pounding...cranky with the kids...could snap at any moment. That's me tonight. So I'm rebelling. I'm not gonna make a menu plan. Now, I've said these words before and lived to regret it, but I'm still going to throw caution to the wind and do it anyway.

My inventory on hand is this:

Lots of rice and beans
Leftover chicken meat from a roast earlier in the week
A frozen turkey breast and a whole turkey in the freezer
Lots of berries, lettuce, broccoli, mushrooms, tangerines, carrots and celery
Frozen pumpkin puree
basic baking supplies and spices
frozen loaves of bread
a freezer full of homemade broth
a little bit of fresh and powdered milk
eggs
a variety of canned goods

That's not too bad. I can last at least to mid week on that, right? The only thing we might miss are bananas and apples but I'm feeling up to the challenge of getting creative....just not tonight. So, if I find that I need to shop this week I'll fill you in. But it looks like I'll be doing lots of baking and thinking ahead. We'll see how it goes.

8 comments:

Susan said...

I'm just impressed that you meal plan as often as you do. I guess the blog keeps you accountable. I get so tired of meal planning, yet I often regret when I don't also. I didn't meal plan this week. We are low on meat so dinner this week is going to be interesting. I'm sure I will need a mid week shop too.

Candi said...

We're doing leftovers and easy meals all week because I felt the same way...weeks are like that sometimes. You've got lots of choices too!

Maddy said...

Good luck! Sounds like you have some good stuff to work with...sometimes ya gotta take a break from routine. Thanks again for having a blog. I really learn things from it.

Anonymous said...

That 'I don't wanna' picutre is just precious. As a day care provider I see that look often.

I agree with you though. After this past week where everyone but me in the family was sick I am ready to go running away...I am going to do a 'let's see how we feel tonight menu' this week. I have most of the things from last week's menu for this week. Last week was a lot of chicken soup and toast...
Roxie from Texas

Halfmoon Girl said...

Gee, I totally felt like that today, but I don't think I looked NEAR as cute! I think you'll manage just fine...and if not, well, that's ok too!

NeedANap2 said...

I'm sure you'll do just fine this week! (You are very creative with the ingredients you DO have.) I just wanted to say that picture definitely expresses what you were saying! :)

Anonymous said...

Does your family celebrate Easter or Passover? I was just wondering if you had any specific dishes you were going to serve later in the week.

Gayle said...

Yes, we normally celebrate Easter but this year we have some changes in our family dynamics due to aging and sickness so holidays have lost their luster. I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing but it will probably be really simple and different.