Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I'm Gonna Wash That Dirt Right Outta My Clothes

Well the laundry soap debacle continues. To set the record straight, I have only been using half of the suggested amount on the back of the jug and STILL am not getting 35 loads out of that thing. But I remember my friend Laura saying she made her own laundry soap so that’s what I’m trying this week.

Here’s a great recipe that I found. I’m going to give it a shot and then break down the cost for you in a few days. I’ll do a little review and let you know whether I feel like stuff is getting clean or not. And for all you out there with the new front load washers (I am so full of envy) they say that this soap doesn’t suds up much and can be used in the HE washers too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Breakfast – Oatmeal with milk & brown sugar and Orange Juice to drink

Lunch – Leftovers, some of us had baked potatoes, some had spaghetti and some had PB & J with peaches. I love doing this because normally my leftovers will sit in the fridge and go bad. Plus it’s one less meal I have to cook.

Dinner – We had company again….Roast Crock Pot Chicken (this is so easy and I’ll save the carcass to boil down and make chicken noodle soup) 2 cans of corn spiced up, and Peasant Bread. (makes two loaves….I froze one for a lazy day) $5.60 total for dinner.

2 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

I wanted to do this a couple of weeks ago, but I can't find the right ingredients in our stores. I had to laugh when I read in the instructions that you can ask the store to order for you, do stores even do that anymore? I tried to special order something this week and was refused and told to go on-line (where I had to pay $18 shipping!).

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to follow this blog, I just reviewed our 2007 grocery spending. YIKES!! I made my own laundry soap for quite a while, and I think I'll start again. I loved it, felt environmental and self-sufficient, and my clothes were clean and I saved money . . . it takes a teeny bit of time, and you may have to suffer a bit of ridicule from skeptical friends! You can absolutely find those ingredients w/o paying shipping - at that price, what's the point? Ask at local hardware stores, really spend time in the laundry and soap area of various grocery stores.