Monday, July 21, 2008

Menu Plan and Shopping Trip



Last week I went way overboard by taking my kids shopping with me (shame, shame) and thus spending too much. I vowed to be more frugal this week and stick to the plan. I also inherited a lifetime supply of lentils and rice from my sister who is moving and cleaning out her cupboards.

Hello?!?


Expect lots of creative lentil recipes over the next 2 years! Sheesh!


Breakfast

Oven Baked Breakfast Custard
Pumpkin Muffins
Old Fashioned Oatmeal
Carmel Apple Breakfast Pudding
Amish Baked Oatmeal
Eggs and Toast
Muffins from the freezer and fruit

Dinners

Chickpea, Cherry Tomato and Feta Salad with Peasant Bread
Crockpot Baked Potatoes served with chili, sour cream, and cheese
Skillet Taco Macaroni and Corn
Slow Cooked Vegetable Curry over Rice
Hot Dogs and Mac & Cheese (kids only while we are at a party)
Spaghetti, green beans, and garlic rolls
Leftovers


4 cups grated cheddar cheese $4.58
Hot dogs $.99
Vanilla Soy Milk $1.99
Chocolate Soy Milk $1.99
Capellini $.79
Jumbo size Ketchup $3.99
Huge can of Hominy that I’ll freeze in portion sizes $1.99
Huge can of Cannellini Beans that I’ll freeze in portion sizes $2.99
24 double rolls of TP $9.58
Dishwasher Detergent $1.99
Green olives with garlic $1.49
Large can Tomato Sauce $.69
2 cans of Chili $1.18
Macaroni Pasta $.79
Bananas $1.74
5 dozen eggs $4.29
Pecans $.73
Apples $2.54
2 boxes of margarine $1.36
5 lbs sugar $1.95
Frozen green beans $.88
Coriander $3.50
2 boxes mac and cheese $1.36
1 lb strawberries $1.98

Total $55.36

7 comments:

April was in CA now MA said...

I'm so jealous of the Silk soymilk prices! They're almost $4 each at our local grocery.

Wow, that's a LOT of rice and lentils! I've been wanting to try lentils again (my first attempt did not turn out well at ALL) so if you have any good recipes please share. :)

Duckygirl said...

You always seem to score great deals...where on earth did you find 5 dozen eggs for that price!?! I'm paying at least 7 something! Way to go!

Gayle said...

I know, I just about wet my pants when I found the eggs at that price. I found them at Win-co. The only drawback was that they were medium rather than large eggs. As far as baking goes it really doesn't make any difference in the recipe but when I want to eat a hard boiled egg and i'm counting calories, I feel a little cheated.

Cassandra said...

I absolutely love how you put thought into the breakfast part of your menu. I mean, you could just put some cold cereal in a bowl and be done with it. But, it has really inspired me (truly, not just flattery here....it really has) to go another step and 1) actually write down my plan and get it out of my head and 2)go past just knowing what's for dinner(supper for us) but what i am going to start our day with.
And as a pastors wife of three small kids....it's saving my neck, keeping us out of restaurants and saving us money. So big thank yous from our house to yours!!

Lorie said...

I'm addicted to your blog. I love to come and see what you got planned! What a great gift of rice and lentils! I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff to do with it!

Mary Ellen said...

Awesome score with the lentils and rice! We're quite fond of the Hillbilly Housewife's Taco Style Lentils & Rice.

BeckyJ said...

So how much did you pay for the kid? :-)

Looking forward to lentil recipes. You're my inspiration too!