Monday, December 29, 2008

Weekly Shopping Trip



OK, I got lots of strange e-mails from yesterdays post. Some good...some weird so I thought I should clear a little sump'n up about this day of rest idea.

We had a freaky two week long snow storm in which we were without electricity for one evening. We had so much fun sitting by the fire, playing games, connecting with each other, reading books all by candlelight and with no electronics on that we were sad when the lights came back on. We were so relaxed and the pace was so peaceful that we thought maybe we should institute one day a week like that because we are ALWAYS working and not connecting nearly enough. So that's the back story...nothing weird.
So anyway....on with the show and back to the groceries

6 loaves of bread $6.49
Aussie Sprunch Spray $1.99
2 cans green beans $.78
1 can green chilies $.69
4 bars of soap $1.96
Paper napkins $1.99
Curls Up Mousse $1.99
Tortillas $3.18
5 lbs Bulk Unbleached Flour $1.62
2.17 lbs Bulk White Popcorn $1.80
1.36 lbs Bulk Cocoa $1.41
5 dozen eggs $7.68
1.29 lbs Roma Tomatoes $2.04
.25 lb Bulk Johny's Seasoning Salt $.47
2 lb block of cheddar $5.68
Soy milk $1.08
Canned Olives $.98
2 boxes margarine $1.56
Vanilla $1.24
Fels Naptha $1.12
White Vinegar $1.04
5 lbs Bananas $2.89
.61 lbs Bulk Seashell Pasta $.60
3 lbs Cameo Apples $2.41
Green leaf lettuce $1.38

Grand Total $54.16
To see my menu plan for the week and how I'll be using these groceries go here.

14 comments:

momstheword said...

That's exactly what I thought you meant. Sounds great to me.

Em. said...

The day of rest concept is what I love the most about keeping the Sabbath (as a Jew). It's the most amazing feeling to just disconnect from the hustle-hustle every week and reconnect with the things that matter most.

Enjoy your weekly day off. It's the best!

An iMperfect wIfe said...

Where do you buy your bulk things at? I noticed your having oatmeal this week a few times but didn't list it in the groceries so I'm assuming it must have been a previous bulk purchase *Sorry, if this has been answered...your site is so information rich that I'm doing my best to absorb it and figure it out*

Keep up the great work! ;)

Jenny

Terri Steffes said...

well, I wasn't confused about the day of rest...

I love your post!

Kat said...

I'm suprised you'd have any wierd comments or have to explain yourself about the day of rest at all. As a family who this month in particular has ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, I think it sounds rather heavenly. I find it odd that people would find it odd.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was exactly that--just a nice quiet day with the family--and it sounds very lovely indeed. Enjoy your day of rest!

Andrea

MomsTheWord said...

I just found your blog. Mother of 4 and trying to keep the budget under control. Thanks for your encouragement!

AW said...

You know, I see this every week and just drool. There aren't grocery outlets in the area I live and I'm so jealous. :-(

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

I love the day of rest idea. Our best family times are just sitting around in front of the fire place relaxing. That to me is a true gift.
Rest away.

Unknown said...

Wow! I did notice that you did purchase bananas. I will have to show your results to my husband.

Melissa :) said...

This has probably been asked/answered before...

Do you buy paper towels? I'm thinking/assuming you do not. I assume you use regular towels you can throw in with your homemade detergent...??

Love your day of rest. Heck, the Bible tells us to do that! God did! We should implement that here too. It's crazy here! :)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Gayle said...

Melissa,

I haven't bought paper towels for years. I just use rags for cleaning purposes and if I'm making bacon and need something to soak up the grease (which isn't very often) I use paper napkins. I haven't switched to cloth napkins....yet.

Danielsen5 said...

If you had your choice, would you prefer to shop every week or every two weeks?

Blessings, Beth

Shannon said...

I was thumbing thru your blog and saw that it was suggested to do the no-power thing. We have family game night on Wednesdays. In an added attempt to reduce the electric bill a little bit more, we made it No Power Game Night. We use the oil lamps and candles, and my boys LOVE it! They can't wait for Wednesdays, and it seems that their enitre week revolves around Wednesday! But I understand if you can't go without the computer. I use mine during the day, and when it becomes dark enough to need lights (candles) then the computer and tvs go off. But then it stays off for the remainder of the night. I can't wait to get back on track since everything has been off kilter the last 3 weeks. Enjoy your day of laziness! It sounds wonderful!!! (And I found nothing weird about your post! =))