Thursday, January 15, 2009

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

It was Roast Turkey night. (burp). We pigged out and it tasted even better when I reminded my husband that the original price tag was $18.89 and I ended up getting it for something like $4.14. I rarely find deals that are so good. I'm sucking every ounce of pleasure out of it that I can.

When I was a teenager I used to work at a gourmet deli. That's where I learned how to cook and I ended up with lots of great recipes like Apple Dumplings with Lemon Cream, Buttery Shortbread Cookies and Fudge Frosted Peanut Butter Bars. But my total weakness was French Silk Pie. In the two decades since then, I seem to have lost some of my favorite recipes including the one for the pie. So when I came across the Exact Same Recipe on Recipezaar I was thrilled. And that's the pie we had as dessert with our roast turkey.

French Silk Pie has the BEST chocolate flavor. It's really like a firm chocolate mouse and not at all like those chocolate pudding pies that you normally get when you order a chocolate pie. I like to put it in a shortbread cookie dough crust, top it with real whipped cream and make chocolate curls to sprinkle all over the top. It looks like something from the bakery. And the cost...around $3. It takes me about 5 minutes to whip it together and a few hours to chill.

You can find the recipe HERE.

If you'd like to participate in the recipe swap please link directly to your recipe post (not your home page) and include a link back here from your post.

Have a great time finding goodies for next weeks meals.

13 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I noticed your French Silk Pie link in your menu earlier, and I really want to give it a try! Sounds yummy!

Blessings,
Michele :)

Halfmoon Girl said...

mmmm, looks good! I put it in my recipe file to try in the future.

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Thanks for doing the weekly challenge. It gets me cooking for sure.

Terri Steffes said...

I can't wait to see what is in store!

Manic Monday said...

When i was a kid Big Boys had a chocolate pie called "chocolate icebox pie". OMG, it was sooooo good. very firm, not at all pudding like, and served in a graham crust. i have yet to find a recipe that compares. yours sounds close though!

Elizabeth said...

Yummy - I have not had French silk pie in a long time and 5 minutes to make? I'll be right back!

WendyDarling said...

I ended up posting a recipe yesterday, so I just linked to it today.

Sadie said...

Hey Gayle,
I made the tortellini soup that you linked us to last week. I added some shredded chicken and some peeled, diced zucchini and we really enjoyed it!

Shelly said...

Hey Gayle,
You have certainly inspired me. That pie sounds so good, I just wish my family like chocolate. :( I would end up eating the whole thing myself.

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I worked in a deli in high school, too, but the only recipe I came away with was how to make fruit dip (1 box strawberry jello, 1 carton of Cool Whip). And a very thorough knowledge of how to clean a rotisserie, LOL!

Anonymous said...

You have to post your recipe for the Apple Dumplings with Lemon Cream. That sounds delish!

Here is a yummy recipe for Cripy Panko Chicken Cutlets with Tonkatsu Sauce. Mmmmm...

Anonymous said...

Hi Gayle. Just wanted to say how much I love your blog. I check it all the time. Do you have a recipe for the shortbread crust or do you use a store bought one?

Gayle said...

Here’s a good crust recipe.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Shortbread-Crust-72584

Just know that it puffs up when it cooks so you want to make it really thin when spreading it in the pan.