Sunday, February 1, 2009

Menu Plan Monday


Ok, there is now proof that it is possible to survive without the internet. My internet service has been down for a few days and should come back up sometime this week. In the meantime I've been camping out at the library and at the houses of friend and family to keep up. But it's amazing how many non-internet projects I've been able to get done with all my freed up time.

And unfortunately since I can't use recipezaar for my menu planning I've had to resort to the old fashioned cookbook to plan my meals this week. Which means no links. But it's been fun pulling out some of my favorite cookbooks and perusing the pages again. I have some really great resources to tell you about.
All of my breakfast recipes came from a great book called Lean & Luscious by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder. It's full of healthy, low fat, low cal recipes with nutrition breakdowns. My dinner recipes came from several books; Fix It and Forget It by Phyllis Pellman Good, The Meatless Gourmet by Bobbie Hinman, and The Bread Machine Cookbook II by Donna Rathmell German. You can check my left sidebar for more info on these books and where to buy them at a discount.


Breakfasts
Cinnamon Yogurt Muffins
Strawberries N Creme Breakfast Cereal
Broiled Grapefruit Delight and Raisin Scones
Dutch Apple Pancakes
Banana Fritters
Orange Upside Down French Toast
Oatmeal

Dinners
Herbed Chick Pea Patties, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans
Hungarian Goulash over Noodles, green peas, Rice Bread
Buckwheat Cheese Bake, Steamed Broccoli
Taco Rice, green salad
New Mexico Pinto Beans, spicy corn
Leftover Night
Ground Beef Casserole, Portuguese Broa Rolls

And Lindsey, you asked about bread recipes....the Bread Machine Book II is amazing!

So don't forget to check back tomorrow and see how the $60 budget stretched to cover all my ingredients. Oh, and don't forget to check to see who won the Keurig Brewer! I'm so excited.

19 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Thanks for the Bread Machine book suggestion. I will definitely check that one out for some new bread ideas. - Lindsay

Janelle said...

The Rice Bread is excellent! I love Donna Rathmell German's bread cookbooks and have made the Rice Bread several times. It also makes a hearty stuffed bread. I find it to be a unique way to use up leftover rice. Hmmm....maybe I need to talk about leftover rice on my blog next! :-)

Terri Steffes said...

I have the Fix It and the Bread Machine cookbooks and can attest that they are really good!

Tracey C. said...

Very interested to see the $60 stretch! Impressive!
Warmth, Tracey C.

Nicole said...

Am I missing Mr. Linky??

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great looking menu! :D I'm definitely going to have to check out those cookbooks.

Jenn said...

My computer crashed and I am at the mercy of alternate sources of technology myself right now. You're doing way better than me at keeping up. I'm pouting and whining instead. :)

Melissa said...

I want that Fix it & Forget it Cookbook, there is a waitlist at our library for it:(

Latte said...

Very interesting:
Broiled Grapefruit Delight

Danielsen5 said...

I too have the fix it and forget it light cookbook, it's awesome! I use it 2-3 times a week. Tonight, the taco soup. Later in the week, wild rice and lentil soup. Yum.

Blessings, Beth Ann

P.S. My family LOVES your buttery bread machine rolls! They could eat them as a meal by themself!

cooking like a frugalite said...

I am so curious about some of these recipes, especially the buckwheat cheese bake. I'd love it if you posted the recipe.

Bird Stalker Photography said...

Those banana fritters and the dutch apple pancakes sound delicious? Do you happen to the recipes?

Gayle said...

N,

I'm linked up on Organizing Junkies Mr. Linky. But I'll do a linky tomorrow for the grocery shopping trip and then on friday for the recipes.

Anonymous said...

I love the bread machine II too its great!!! your menu sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Last Friday, I "officially" started the Grocery Cart challenge, and came in below our budget of $50! I am so excited! :)

Do you have an account at zaar---if so, what is your username?
:)
Katherine
sassykat1213 @ zaar

Nicole said...

Duh .. I know that .. I'm just an idiot today! Geez! Sorry you had to waste some of your precious internet time of that dumb statement! Have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

I wait in anticipation for each new blog on your site. You are such an uplifting person! We've followed many of your ideas and recipes and look forward to more!

TheFranklinFamily said...

I see you only plan out breakfast and dinner. What do you do for lunch??

Unknown said...

I still can't believe how well you do, I am sooooo happy to have found your blog.
Thank you so very much for sharing, I just wanted you to know that I really appreciate it.