Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekly Shopping Trip - Ha, Ha, Everyone Laugh At The Lentil Girl


I have hilarious friends. They are tried and true and know me so well. Did I also mention that some of them make fun of me and my lentils? So when it was my birthday last week, one of my friends sent me the gift of meat. No kidding. I laughed my head off. I don't think I've very recieved MEAT for a birthday present. I received 4 lbs of hamburger, some fresh salmon, italian sausage, some chicken breasts and some homemade jam and berries.

I'm sure the lentil razzing won't stop though.

I also had a potluck to go to this week and I chose a grape salad thinking that I could get the bargain grapes that I bought a few weeks ago.

Hah!

They weren't there and I ended up spending almost $10 on that salad. All I have to say is it better be good!


Franz

5 loaves of bread $4.70

S & S Liquidators

Giant can of coffee $4.99
Enchilada sauce $.69
12 apples $1.50
2 bunches of bananas $1.58
2 cans spaghetti sauce $1.38
1 can tomato sauce $.39

Grocery Outlet

8 double rolls of TP $5.98
2 lbs spaghetti $1.69
rotini $.99
4 bars of soap $.99
nose strips $.99
frozen corn $.79
sour cream $1.29
2 cans green beans $1.18


Win-co

1 1/4 lbs bulk oats $.49
4.5 lbs grapes $7.41
3/4 lb bulk granola $.96
cream cheese $.98
1.5 lbs broccoli crowns $1.84
syrup $1.98
3 lbs bulk sugar $1.58
1/4 lb bulk pecans $1.18
2 1/4 lbs bulk popcorn $1.71
vanilla yogurt $1.78
2 lb carrotts $.98
Bulk equal packets $.60
gallon milk $1.98

Grand Total $52.60

Don't forget to come back tomorrow to see who won the FREE Dishwasher detergent from EcostoreUSA. And if you haven't entered yet, you have until the end of the day tomorrow.


16 comments:

msumommie said...

I have had that grape salad and it is absolutely fantastic! Everyone is going to want that recipe! Sorry it cost so much though.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! They may make fun of your lentils, but that meat gift sounds sweet. I don't think I would mind if my friends decided to give me some salmon! But you know what I would like more? Being creative and confident enough in my cooking to use as many lentils as you do! You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I am a closet lurker, but had to comment on the lentils - I too get razzed by friends and family for my deep love of beans in everything (even spaghetti!) ... black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, I love them all!

Sarah said...

Josh's sister gave him two lbs. of hamburger for his birthday. It was SUCH a blessing to us, I loved it!

Anonymous said...

For Christmas last year my brother said I could choose anything from Cisco's point catalog and he gave me a lot of points to use. What did I choose? Meat. Lots of meat. That saved us a ton of money and it's good meat too!

Anonymous said...

Gayle I won't make fun of you; we eat lots of beans in my house to prove it here is my new recipe

Pescuma's Italian style 4 bean soup and it cost me under $8.00 to make and 7 of ate including the bread and salad and wine the entire meal cost about $15.00.

http://mz-g65.blogspot.com/2009/03/pescumas-4-bean-soup.html

Everyone loved the this 4 bean soup.

Happy belated birthday!

EEEEMommy said...

I stand beside you and your lentils, but it warms my carnivore heart that you have MEAT! Still no corned beef, and it's on sale everywhere!

Anonymous said...

Its always fun to see what others buy each week. Thanks for sharing your finds with us!

Unknown said...

oh oh. Looks like hubby didn't get the starbucks this week?? :)

Happy Birthday and hey, more power to you for the lentil meals!

Anonymous said...

That's hysterical. I once bought my husband a large quantity of meat(about $50 worth) for Father's Day. Same idea, he's a good sport about all the vegetarian meals, but it's hard to grill lentils!

AW said...

This post made me laugh! I've tried several lentil recipes as of late and they have all been DISASTROUS. Usually if I make a bad meal or two, we muddle through the leftovers just to have something to eat and stick to the meal plan. But with my latest lentil fiascos, we've not even been able to finish the original meal. One time decided to console ourselves by eating out. (Completely ruining our budget. LOL!)

So to have friends that are willing to give you such luxuries as meat? I think that's pretty freakin' cool. I'm all about practical presents. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I want your friend. No one ever gives me meat for my birthday, lol! We eat a lot of beans here too, cheap and easy!
Toni

Anonymous said...

I never ate lentils as a kid, but tried your lentil burrito recipe. My DH and I really enjoyed it. I was craving more the next day!

Coleens Recipes said...

I just stumbled across your page tonight and found it fascinating. I can see I'll be back often. I didn't catch what state you were shopping in but it obviously isn't Alaska (where I live). This week I paid (sale price) 2.50 for loaf of bread, apples were 1.99 a pound, banana's were .98 a pound, milk was 2.99 a gallon but the best sale was on avocado's (4 for $5) they haven't been that low in ages.

DarcyLee said...

We are bean people, too, because they are cheap and I love them-alot-any kind. I serve them at least 4 times a week for dinner as some part of the meal. I, too, would love a nice salmon fillet for a gift. It's one of my family's favorites.

More Love, Less Debt said...

Absolutely love your blog. I am sold and now know that I need to come back more. After reading several posts I am proud to see we are almost literally "neighbors". I am excited to follow along and maybe be brave enough to post my GCC buys as well. Wonderful blogging, beautiful family.