Sunday, April 12, 2009

Menu Plan Monday


I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend. We have some well deserved belly aches at our house and a few kids with permanent candy stains around their mouths.

I managed to save one ham bone from a fuzzy death in my mother-in-laws garbage can but the turkey carcass got away before I could save it. Being frugal minded makes waste a nearly painful thing to witness. So you'll see a recipe for Crockpot Split Pea Soup using my salvaged ham bone this week. I also have a meal to take to a new mom. The Texas Lasagna is my new hospitality meal. It's so good and is a great alternative for a gluten free family that can't eat the regular noodles in a lasagna. And then I have a potluck dessert meeting this week that I"ll be bringing Black Bottom Banana Bars to. A very frugal dessert that requires ingredients that you already probably have on hand.

I found myself with stray veggies, canned goods and other ingredients to use up this week so my menu is based around those things.

So here's what on our menu this week.

Breakfasts

Leftover Fresh Orange Muffins from last week
Pancakes
Hard boiled Eggs and Fruit
Oatmeal
Toast and Fruit

Dinners

Stove top Tamale Pie with fresh sliced veggies
Texas Lasagna, Creamy Corn Salad, Ginger Cookies (doubled for us and another family)
West African Beans with rice and sliced veggies
Leftover Night
Scrambled eggs and toast

Check back tomorrow to see how my $60 budget stretched to make these dishes this week.

9 comments:

Cottonpickinfarm said...

I'm so glad to see your menu plan. I think I'll be trying a couple of your recipes.

Thank you for posting your hard work.

Cottonpickinfarm

Cottonpickinfarm said...

I'm so glad to see your menu plan. I think I'll be trying a couple of your recipes.

Thank you for posting your hard work.

Cottonpickinfarm
(Cottonpickinfarm.blogspot.com)

Halfmoon Girl said...

gasp- someone threw out a turkey carcass? That is a week's worth of turkey soup to torture the kids with! That banana dessert sounds yummy!

Terri Steffes said...

Due to meetings and such, I only have two dinners to make. I am looking at what we already have to see if I can make do this week. I am getting ready to have a leisurely breakfast since I have today off and everyone else is at SCHOOL!

Nina T. said...

Great menu plan! That african bean dish sounds yummy!
One thing I did yesterday w/ some of our hard boiled eggs was have "Creamed Eggs on Toast" which was soooooo yummy! Definitely something easy to make!

Cate said...

Oh those banana bars look like the perfect use for the ripe-for-baking bananas sitting on my counter.

Anonymous said...

Great menu plan, I will have to try the Texas lasagna

Kate said...

I.AM.APPALLED! LOL Throwing out a carcass. I am a new frugal baby but that would NEVER happen in our house! I even stole my MIL's turkey carcass on Friday, dragged it home and had both slow cookers going for the last 2 days! Maybe that is why we are not drowning in debt. Thank-you thank-you THANK-YOU for all your frugal ideas. I LOVE this blog!!! And what a GREAT spin on banana bread. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gayle,
I have really been enjoying your blog.
I noticed that you make Fresh Orange Muffins. I have a very similar recipe(called Orange Date Muffins) except my recipe has 1/2 cup of chopped dates added to the orange in the blender. The end result is delicious with no large chunks of dates. I just thought I'd share in case you were looking to try something different.
Take care,
Jody in Toronto