Friday, July 10, 2009

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

We have four sinks, three showers and three toilets and with six people living in this house they can get clogged. Instead of expensive chemicals to unclog our drains, we use an inexpensive alternative that doesn't have any nasty fumes.

Homemade Drain Cleaner


1/4 cup baking soda
1/2 cup vinegar

Pour baking soda down drain and follow with vinegar. Let sit for 20 minutes.

This cleans our grease clogs, most hairballs, and even helps clogged toilets that plunging hasn't helped. We let it sit and foam up in a clogged toilet and then a few more plunges and down it goes.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?

  • Please link directly to your post, not your homepage.

  • Please include a link back to the Grocery Cart Challenge from your post.


8 comments:

Nicole Feliciano said...

hmm. that is one recipe I won;t be tasting...but useful. I tried my hand at Soft Shell Crabs this week. Hope you'll stop by the recipe exchange here:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts-soft-shell-crab.html


And I added your link to my recipe!

Hoosier Homemade said...

Great tip! Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

Mary Bergfeld said...

Gayle, thanks so much for sponsoring this event. I loved your tip. Vinegar
is a cleaning staple around her. I use it (1 cup per gallon of water) to maintain my wood floors and cabinets. I also use it for windows and my counter tops. Have a great day...Mary

Unknown said...

What a great, frugal alternative! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon

Amy Green said...

I needed that tip...our disposal keeps backing up. Always with perfect timing, too.

This is my first time participating in this event. Thanks so much for hosting!

Grannie said...

I use baking soda and vinegar every so often to "sweeten" my kitchen sink drain. Hope I don't need to try it in the bathroom anytime soon. We have a 2 1/2 year old GRAND who loves putting things down drains.

Amanda from Faith, Food and Family said...

I need that recipe as we're having trouble with out tub and I dislike chemical alternatives. Thanks!

I messed up the title of my link. It came out bugers instead of burgers! Sorry about that but click anyway and you'll get a yummy burger recipe!
God bless,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Gayle, I tried the baking soda and vinegar in my bathroom sink this morning and it worked better than the expensive drain cleaners. I was a bit hesitant to try it but am I ever glad I did. Thank you so much for all the great tips!