Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap


One of the biggest ways to lower your grocery budget is to cook from scratch. And that doesn't JUST mean cooking your own meals, but also NOT relying on other packaged foods like spice mixes.

A good thing to remind yourself is that if a manufacturer can make a food, then so can you.

Many recipes calls for Onion Soup Mix in roasts, dips and soups. Here's a great recipe for a homemade version that costs pennies. Remember to buy your spices in bulk if you can, to lower your costs even more.


Homemade Onion Soup Mix


3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to 1 1¼-ounce package.


Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Just enter your info into Mcklinky. Please be sure to link directly to your post, not your homepage and please include a link back to The Grocery Cart Challenge.

6 comments:

MamaFeelgood said...

Thank you for doing this every week

Susannah said...

Homemade Onion Soup Mix... who would have thunk? Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe, I used to use Onion Soup mix in a lot of recipes, but had to stop because it had soy in it, and my kids are allergic to soy, it is great to know that I can make my own.

Hoosier Homemade said...

I make my own taco seasoning but haven't tried any other seasonsings yet. Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

devona said...

Hi Gayle. I have been following your blog for a few months now and I love it! You are an inspiration! I was wondering with the holidays approaching if you have any new gift ideas? I have read your older posts and I plan on making the sand box for my nephew this year. I look forward to your ideas. Thank you so much for doing this.

Amy M said...

Any ideas on something to use in place of onion soup mix without onions? My fiance is allergic to onions so I always skip those recipes.