Thursday, October 15, 2009

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap


Fall makes me get cuddly. We spend evenings and sometimes mornings in front of the roaring fire and we drink lots of comfort drinks like hot apple cider and hot chocolate. I remember as a kid going over to the neighbors house in the fall and they would serve up a spicy orange drink that I used to love. Recently a friend mixed up a batch of the very same thing and come to find out...it's called Russian Friendship Tea and if you haven't had the pleasure of tasting it yet, I think you'll be happily surprised. This is also great packaged up and given as Christmas gifts.

Yes, it's time to start thinking about that.


Russian Friendship Tea

2 cups instant orange drink (like Tang)
1/2 cup sweetened iced tea mix powder
1 envelope sweetened lemonade mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon
ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all ingredients well and store in an airtight container. To use, fill a mug with boiling water and stir in 2-3 teaspoons of mix, to taste.

Keep checking back at The Grocery Cart Challenge. I'll be starting my second annual Frugal Christmas Gift series and I've got a giveaway coming up VERY SOON and a frugal before and after remodel project that I'm excited to share.
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back to The Grocery Cart challenge.

11 comments:

Susannah said...

Russians certainly love their tea! This reminds me of Twinings Orange Spice tea (a fav.) sold by the Brits. I wonder which came first, the Russian version or the British?

e-Mom @ Susannah's Aprons
http://susannahsaprons.blogspot.com

Staci said...

Hi! I also LOVE Russian Tea growing up here SC. I'm excited to try your recipe for old times sake. I would, however, be VERY interested in seeing your apple cider and hot chocolate recipes as well! Thanks for all you do!

Melissa said...

Yum! I've gotten a package of that before and now I might have to make my own.

Hoosier Homemade said...

That sounds great! I've been looking for some new warm drinks lately. Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

SnoWhite said...

We love this tea at our house. I have fond memories of my mom and I enjoying it while watching the snow fall :)

Unknown said...

I always see the recipe for that drink, but I have never tried it. Guess it's about time!

Tiffanee said...

I made this for Christmas last year for neighbors and titled it "Friendship Tea". Thanks for reminding me how good it is!!!

3verything 3mily said...

This tea is great! I never knew the name of it..I make it every year for people!!

AmberZ said...

I remember my Aunt Irene would make this when I stayed over with her! I've had the recipe for a very long time, just haven't made it in forever! I'll be making this so my son can try it out, and I'll package some in jars for Christmas gifts! Thanks for the reminder, Gayle!

I have recipes somewhere ;P for all sorts of gifts in a jar...the hot cocoa recipe was yum--and you can flavor them with the flavored powdered creamers. I also had a great dry bean soup recipe for the jars as well as cookie mixes (you could really use any recipe, as long as you find a jar all of the dry ingredients fit in) If I find them I'll send them on to you, Gayle, so you can post and share, as I don't blog. AmberZ

aims said...

We LOVE this tea! My mom found it in a cookbook she bought in 1976 and we've made it every fall and winter since then. You're right, it does make a perfect gift!

Cyndi said...

I make this every Christmas and give it as gifts. Everyone loves it! and my family always looks forward to having it in the house around the holidays.