Monday, November 16, 2009

GCC Shopping Round Up

Let me just start by saying that if you are a local the BEST deal in town for a turkey is at Win-co. If you spend $50 you can get a turkey for 22 cents a pound.

You read that right!

You can only get one at a time at that price and then it's 98 cents per pound. But, my plan is to do it again next week so I can store up a turkey in the freezer. Also, I don't normally spend that much at one store so to pad my shopping trip by about $20 more than usual, I got some stocking stuffers like candy, make-up, small toys, and hair accessories.

Two birds with one stone.

And in order to manage Thanksgiving groceries, I'm combining it in the next two grocery shopping trips. So this week I managed to get some of the ingredients for Thanksgiving dinner and next week I'll get the rest.

Here's how it went.

S & S Liquidators

100 packs of sweetener $1.99
2 family size cans of soup $1.98
2 cans spaghetti sauce $1.38
5 lbs red potatoes $1.79
1 can mandarin oranges $.49
1 can green beans $.39
2 cans sliced olives $1.58

Franz Bread Outlet

3 loaves bread, 6 bagels, 6 english muffins $4.70

Grocery Outlet

Frozen blackberries $1.99
Frozen potstickers $1.99
plain yogurt $1.49
Cascade dishwasher detergent $3.99
razors $1.99
bandages $.99
orange jello $.34
2 cans cranberry sauce $1.00
salsa $1.79

Win-co

2 2/liters of pop $1.56
2 lbs cheddar $4.47
2 boxes Margarine $1.30
Cool Whip $.98
Margarine container $2.04
Bulk rawhide bones $2.48
3.98 lbs bananas $2.31
soymilk $1.48
toothpaste $1.28
1.82 lbs bulk powdered milk $4.68
ketchup $1.61
sausage $1.98
cotton swab $.98
cottage cheese $2.66
2.56 lbs bulk cocoa $2.53
25.84 lb turkey $5.68

Grand Total $67.89

Would you like to share your shopping trip with us? Whether it's a great coupon deal, a super bargain you've found, or showing us what it takes to feed your family, we'd love to see what your shopping trip looks like.

If you'd like to participate, please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back to The Grocery Cart Challenge.



8 comments:

momstheword said...

I heart Winco! I find that I need to take my calculator with me, though, as one shopping trip I bought nearly $75 in stuff in trying to buy $50 worth!

Sharon said...

Wow! I wish we had prices that low around here! Great trip!

Sheila said...

Turkeys are 20 cents a pound at Wal-Mart with no minimum purchse.

Gayle said...

Wow Sheila! Amazing. They are practically giving the turkeys away. Our walmart doesn't have groceries...yet.

copperdog said...

Ooh, that's great! I did the same thing at QFC a couple weeks ago. With $25 min you could get up to 2 turkeys for .29/# So I got 2 :) and I'm not even hosting Thanksgiving! Our wally mart only has druggies selling "fighting puppies" outside, no real food past junk food.

The Girl with the Golden Quill said...

If you live on my side of the world, Gordon Food Service (GFS) has turkeys for 29 cents a pound with $15 purchase. Giant Eagle and Kroger both have them for 29 cents a pound with a $30 purchase. We ended up buying a 22 lb. bird (we're feeding a big family!) and it cost almost $7. My mom and I both chucked items in the cart to add up to $30. We're doing it again next week and freezing the turkey for another meal down the road. :)

Sandy(a.k.a.Grannie) said...

This one is incredible: someone raised a turkey for us and it weighs over 40#--I'm not only humbled, but I am now in search of a pan large enough to roast it in. We do have a big enough oven, but sure don't want to have it cut in two. As we think about Thanksgiving, I think of the 5 kernels of corn the Pilgirms had to eat that first year for dinner. Blessings to you and your families. Sandy(a.k.a.Grannie)

Steph Martin said...

I wish we had a Winco here! Since we don't enjoy your victory a little bit for me, ok?

I also wanted to let you know that I'm giving you the Kreative Blogger Award because I love your blog so much! Please check out my blog for all the details!