Thursday, January 28, 2010

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

My friend Lori sent me a message the other day saying she had some strange cow parts to give to me. She had beef bones from the butcher that she didn't know what to do with so she figured I might have some use for them. She brought me 6 packages.


I wasn't sure what to expect....a bare bone? But I opened them up to find some great meaty bones with nutritious marrow in the middle and began googling all my options. I found that beef marrow is a gourmet treat. I guess people roast it up and it turns into something spreadable like butter. Then they put it on toast, salt it and eat it in ecstasy.

Blech. I'm so not classy like that.

Instead I found a delicious looking roasted beef broth recipe that I tweaked to incorporate the ingredients I had on hand. I came out with a rich, golden, herby broth that looked good enough to drink from the stock pot.

The dog got the leftover bones with the marrow in them (It tasted like cooked jiggly fat. No way was I eating that on toast). So if you find yourself with some beef bones on your hand, or get them cheap from the butcher, here's an excellent recipe.

Homemade Beef Broth

Start with 5 lbs beef marrow bones. Roast bones at 400 for 30 minutes.


Then add 2 cups chopped onion and 1 cup each of celery and carrots. Continue to roast until vegetables begin to brown.


Transfer to stock pot and cover with 4 quarts cold water. Bring to simmer and skim.

Add 1 leek, 3 sprigs thyme, 6 parsley stems and a bay leaf. Add a dozen peppercorns and three gloves of garlic then simmer for 5 hours.


Strain out chunks, sort out meat, (feed bones to dog) and store in containers in the freezer.


Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back to The Grocery Cart Challenge.

14 comments:

April J Harris said...

Homemade stock is just the best, and it's so handy to have on hand in the freezer. I like the idea of roasting the meat and vegetables first; it would really help concentrate the flavours. I'll definitely try that next time. Thanks for hosting.

Anonymous said...

Try making Osso Buco!

It's an Italien hearty type of stew, but you make it with the bone in the meat.

Perfect for the winter months :-)

Jackie said...

I guess I am not so classy either. On toast? That's just wrong. :)

* elizabeth * said...

Those aren't just bones! THose are shanks! The BESSSSST ever pot roast you've ever had. Next time leavce on the stovetop and they'll just fall apart. SO delicious!

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

I grew up on a cattle farm and we called those cuts "soup bones". And you are right, they make wonderful broth for soups. The dogs love the cooked bones when you are done!

The Meal Planner said...

Wow that beef broth sounds INCREDIBLE! Probably the most flavorful homemade stock ever.

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

How much meat did you manage to get off of the bones? Enough for a meal?

Gayle said...

I got enough off the bones to put some meat in three different containers of broth (for soup) and still had enough leftover for a meal like stir fry or a casserole. And the meat was very tender and had good flavor. Not tough at all.

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

Gayle, that's awesome. Will you be buying soup bones from now on?

melali50 said...

Gosh...those look a lot like osso bucco... very tasty and expensive piece of meat!!!

momma-lana said...

My Mom always made vegetable soup with this beef cut. She called them soup bones.

Lori said...

I'm so glad that you were able to use the bones! I'll let you know if I get any more strange cow meat. LOL

chefjulsowings said...

I go to the local butcher and ask if they have any bones that they are getting rid of. Sometimes the answer is yes...broth and at least lunch is served LOL Even when they don't they usually have some for very little money I can buy.

No I wasn't Sleeping said...

I know, you just posted about cow parts, but I have started a new carnival "Meatless Mondays." I would love for you to join in. You can post something new, or dig up a favorite blast from the past. I have enjoyed reading many of your recipes, and I am sure there are others that would love to have you share.
http://teachingmoneytokids.blogspot.com/2010/01/meatless-monday-carnival-kids-in.html
Thanks Staci