Thursday, November 4, 2010

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

The conversations have already begun at our house. The ones where we all dreamily talk about what we want for our Thanksgiving feast. According to our most recent conversation we'll be having at least 6 different pies, about 50 lbs of mashed potatoes and possibly...nothing else. We eventually get a little more realistic about our meal but it's fun to go crazy as we dream about our future gluttony. As the major chef when it comes to these feasts I tend to do lots of prep the day before so that I can actually enjoy the eating, visiting and general lounging that comes with this holiday. One of the best recipes I've found that takes a little pressure of is an amazing crockpot stuffing recipe. It keeps it moist and it takes no time at all for homemade stuffing.

Easy Crockpot Stuffing
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
  • 1 cup diced and peeled apple
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon ground sage
  • 1 teaspoon ground marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon savory
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 12 cups lightly toasted bread, cubes
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
In a large fry pan saute onions, celery and apple in butter until onion is just translucent. Stir in sage, marjoram, salt, pepper, savory and thyme. Combine vegetable mixture with the bread cubes and parsley. Toss well. Pour stock over mixture, tossing well. Spoon into your crock-pot. Cover and cook on high for one hour. Reduce to low and continue cooking for 2-3 hours, stirring every hour.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back here to the Grocery Cart Challenge.


15 comments:

Jackie said...

I may have to try this--it will help on oven space as well. :)

Unknown said...

Gayle, this recipe looks fantastic! I love stuffing, and I really love the option of making in a crock pot! How delicious!

Melodie said...

That's a nice stuffing. I love your addition of apple. Thanks for hosting!

Create With Joy said...

What a great share! Looks delicious! Thanks for hosting!

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing for this recipe as we are not cooking a turkey this year and wanted stuffing! I was about to look up a recipe and there you were! Thank you so much! You saved the day AGAIN! Sarah

Susannah said...

LOL, I could eat stuffing and nothing else at Thanksgiving. This looks delicious. I think I've been missing the majoram and savory in my recipe... it's all in the herbs!

Thanks for hosting, as always!

Unknown said...

Stuffing in the crockpot - brilliant! This is going to make a HUGE difference on Thanksgiving, since it's always a battle trying to get everything cooked in one over. I'm doing my happy dance!!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

I love the holidays, and dreaming about what we are going to eat! Your crockpot stuffing sounds really delicious - I love all the yummy things in it! Thank you for hosting.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've never done this in the crock pot! It sounds so good!

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

What a great idea to make stuffing in the crock pot. I may have to try that this year - gluten free version here but I think your recipe would still work out fine. I love apples in stuffing. Thanks for the inspiration and for hosting.

katie said...

Hi! OH my gosh, we are a homeschooling family of 7 and i was THRILLED to find your blog! I'm the newest follower on your blog. Found you through blogspot! I was wondering, if you have some favorite grocery shopping money saving tips that you would like to share because I would LOVE to feature them and your blog on my new Kitchen blog. email me if you are interested! homeschoolfam@gmail.com

Sandy(a.k.a.Grannie) said...

What a greater than great idea :)

Katerina said...

We make stuffed turkey for Christmas in Greece. I am keeping this stuffing to try it. It looks scrumptious.

Unknown said...

Gayle, just wanted to let you know that I'm going to try this recipe today! Yum!

Rowena said...

Safeway in my area has $.39 store brand turkeys this week.