Food gifts are always a fun way to let someone know you're thinking about them at Christmas. I love to get them just as much as I love to give them. Some years we've put together trays of treats for friends but other years we put together decorative jars full of yummy mixes. Over the years some have been received with much more enthusiasm than others and we've learned which ones are the favorites. So hear are the two top food mixes that we use. I hope they make someone happy on your Christmas list.
Chai Tea Gift Mix
(We put this together in a basket with four (dollar store) mugs and maybe a few homemade scones. )
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 1 1/2 cups french vanilla non-dairy coffee creamer
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix all ingredients together in a food processor until powdery. Put in pretty airtight jar with the directions: Mix 3 tablespoons into 1 cup of hot water.
Chocolate Chip Crunch Cookies
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- In a 1 quart jar, layer the ingredients in the order listed. Pack down firmly after each addition.
- Attach a tag with the following instructions: "Chocolate Chip Crunch Cookies: 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2. In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup margarine until light and fluffy. Mix in 1 egg and 2 tablespoons water. Add the entire contents of the jar, and stir until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. 3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks."