Saturday, February 11, 2012

Calling in Back Up...Freezer Food


I'm spending the day filling the freezer with goodies. I've got dough for rolls in the bread machine, found some blueberries in the back of the freezer for some muffins, and I'm making a batch of homemade chicken noodle soup to stock up the freezer. The thing that saves me every week is knowing that I have back-up in my freezer. Sometimes I don't have time to put something in the crockpot before I leave in the afternoon for work and other times I am so tired when I get home I don't want to make dinner. Having muffins in the freezer for snacks or a quick breakfast streamlines my morning and soup and rolls can be a quick heat up dinner on a crazy night. There is no need to buy pre-packaged freezer meals as long as you plan ahead. If you don't have all day to spend stocking your freezer then it's easy to just double a recipe during the week and store half of it in the freezer. Before you know it your freezer will be full and you'll always have a back up plan on a crazy day without any extra work.

4 comments:

Rustown Mom said...

I do the same thing - make a big batch, freeze half. No waste! And the dinners I make end up having more flavor, less salt and fat than Stouffer's. Go me!

Roxie700 said...

I do this too.
Often when I buy ground beef I will buy 10-15 pounds of it. I will make a couple of meat loafs, some meat balls, and brown the rest with some onion. The browned meat can be used for so many things.
I find another quick go to meal for my busy family is breakfast at night. My grandsons tell me they feel 'funny' eating pancakes and sausage for supper but they love it. With some fruit and milk they have a good meal.

Nothing shocks me anymore... said...

LOVE freezer prepping and cooking! I just pulled 2 blocks of homemade chicken stock out of my freezer and dumped into a crock pot. Pulled what fresh veggies I had in the fridge drawer out and chopped them up and tossed them in. I found a bag of cooked chicken meat in the freezer. It will all cook today and then go into the fridge overnight( I believe soup always tastes better the next day anyway!) for tomorrows dinner.. I will be at calling hours and a meeting so dinner will be ready for hubby to feed kids! Tonight's dinner will be lasagna- frozen sauce defrosted and layered with noodles and the cheeses from the fridge! Serve with green salad and frozen garlic bread! Now that I cleared some shelf space in my freezer I will get baking for school snacks and after school treats!

Alison Troyer Price said...

I love freezer cooking! I'm currently trying to put as many meals in the freezer as possible before our 2nd child arrives. Freezer cooking has saved us so much money & it's so nice to be able to have something healthy with minimal effort!