Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Beauty Bargain #1




Every time I run out of make up or some beauty product, it freaks me out because it costs so much to replace. I could spend half my grocery budget on buying replacement items and have nothing leftover to eat with.

But through the years I’ve gathered some tips from magazines and books and little old ladies that have really saved me some bucks and left me with pretty darn good skin.

And I’m going to share them with you because we are in this thrifty thing together, right?

In most beauty regimens it’s suggested that we use a toner after washing. A toner is supposed to remove any impurities left after washing, shrink down the pores, balance our skins PH and prepare it for a moisturizer. It’s usually applied with a cotton ball dampened with your toner and wiped all over your face and neck. You’ll be amazed how much is left behind after washing.

Yuck!

But the cosmetic companies don’t let you know that toner has been around for ages. Those black and white pictures of relatives with beautiful skin reveal a knowledge that has gotten lost with all the beauty advertisements and marketing ploys. One of the best and most frugal toners you could use is sitting right in your medicine chest.

Witch Hazel is your answer.

Witch Hazel is a naturally occurring purifying agent that works as a cooling astringent, anti-inflammatory, and wards off harmful bacteria. Indians and pioneers used it for insect bites, burns and irritated skin. And the cosmetic companies have been using it for years in their potions.

And to prove it, I looked at my $11 bottle of Clinique toner to find that, yes it’s ingredients consist of witch hazel (hamamelis), water, alcohol, coloring, glycerin (which helps seal in moisture but using a moisturizer afterwards would do the same thing), sodium borate (which I was freaked out to realize was Borax and I use that in my laundry soap) and menthol (for the cooling sensation).

I can do without all the extras.

But the tipping point for me was that the pure witch hazel left me with the same tingly clean feeling but cost only a fraction of the price.

6.7 ounces of Clinique Clarifying Lotion (toner) = $11 per bottle

6.7 ounces of generic Witch Hazel from the drugstore without all the added ingredients = $1.20 (and I bet you can find it even cheaper than that.)

Which would you prefer to use?

***I'm not picking on Clinique, it's just what I had it in the back of my cupboard.

6 comments:

Becky said...

My daughter has decided all these chemicals are sooooooooooo bad for us and so, well, we won't go there. I wanted to share a link with you -- http://thetoiletrieslibrary.info/ -- check this site out for more recipes for your own beauty products. One thing I do is let the suds from my shampoo wash the rest of my body, saving on body wash =) . I do make bath salts and they are cheap to make for a special treat.

Veggiemomof2 said...

I didn't know that Borax was called "sodium borate" & that would be good to know since I'm allergic to it in laundry detergent.

I also didn't know the role toner plays in a beauty care routine.

Thanks for all the tips!

Jasmine's Journey said...

Thanx for the great tip! I am not as concerned with the cost as I am all the extra ingredients added to our skin. I will have to try this. :)

penguinsandladybugs said...

I want you to know...I went out and bought Witch Hazel (didn't already have some) because of your post. Isn't it funny how there are so many inexpensive things that if you add an ingredient or two and a fancy label, we will pay astronomical prices for? I look forward to trying out this new facial toner. Thanks!!

Carrie said...

I went out and bought some witch hazel and have been using it for a few weeks. Thank you so much for this tip! My skin has looked great since I have been using it! Great tip! Can't beat the price either, what a bargain!

Precision Quality Laser said...

I too didn't know about toner...

Amazing what you can learn!