Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Snack Attack at Gayle's House

Laura and Emily both asked me what I do for snacks and the answer is pretty simple. I usually make cookies, brownies, or microwave popcorn, they can have fruit and if that doesn’t float their boat they can use their own money to go to the dollar store for junk of their choice. Occasionally they will eat leftovers out of the fridge or bread and butter.

But you may have noticed that I don’t ever BUY microwave popcorn and here again is another homemade bargain I’ve found on the internet. You can make YOUR OWN microwave popcorn and it usually costs me 14 cents a bag.

Homemade Microwave Popcorn

**Don’t throw your used bag away. I can usually get several uses out of it.

1/3 cup popcorn kernels
Brown paper lunch bag
2-3 tablespoons of melted butter (cooking oil works too)
Salt

Mix kernels, butter and salt together.

Pour kernels into a small paper bag (standard lunch size is fine) and fold the top of the bag over three times tightly to close (each fold should be 1/2 inch deep; remember the kernels need room to pop).

Place bag in microwave on carousel.

Cook on high 2-3 minutes, or until the pops are 5 seconds apart

15 comments:

justjuls said...

This is so awesome.
We went back to making our popcorn on the stove after I heard that people working in those dang popcorn companies were getting lung cancer from breathing in the powder from the butter they use. If you get cancer from breathing it - then we definitely don't want to eat it.

My kids like bread and butter too - especially warm from the oven - and they also like spoons of peanut butter - but no double spooning! I also like to make homemade granola.

Maybe that'd be a nice thing to do one week is frugal snacks!

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I'M talkin' 'bout. I was just about to go looking for this recipe. We have been making popcorn on the stove, but I'm getting too lazy. I may have to try this one tomorrow.

And it's getting awfully close to laundry soap making day around here.

Unknown said...

When do you add the oil and salt?

MOMMY said...

Great tip! We will have to give it try once we use up the stash of microwave popcorn from Trick or Treat-a bunch of neighbors gave it out this year.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I'm going to have to try this! Scott is the homemade popcorn maker but I hate doing the stove thing; I'm too lazy and it's too messy.

Jasmine's Journey said...

We do this too. Except we staple the bag and put butter on after we microwave it. Yum!

Duckygirl said...

Okay, Ian really likes popcorn so I'm going to put lunch bags on my next grocery list and try this!! (If he hates it we can make lots of puppets that week :) )

~Laura

MyKidsMom said...

Great idea- I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!

carrie said...

You have GOT to be kidding me! I have been dying to find a way to mix the frugalness of bagged kernels with my children's obvious addiction to micro popcorn.

I usually make it on the stove and they think it's gross. (It's not)

Now I'm going to try this and perhaps lie to them about where it came from.

I think I might love you.

thanks

Anonymous said...

We do it this way too! My kids love when I make it on the stove though. Want another cheap trick for this snack? Sprinkle the freshly buttered popcorn with any flavor of dry jello mix you like while it is still in the bag and shake it up really good - it is soooo yummy! We have also done this with dry butterscotch pudding mix (my personal favorite!) So inexpensive but so good!

Blessings,
Mandi

Angela said...

Thank you so much! I love your blog and your tips are awesome! I FINALLY made homemade laundry detergent last week and I've used your homemade Febreeze recipe. You rock!

My children will love this recipe for popcorn and it will be a fun family activity for us!

HuNnY aNd PoPpA LeWiS said...

I can hardly wait to try making this microwave popcorn with my grandkids. Thanks for the recipe! I always enjoy your delightful blog!!

Donna said...

Hey Gayle, I LOVE this recipe idea. I just tried it, and um, ok, so were by bags cheap, b/c butter leaked out of it all over my microwave. My 3yr old still ate it up (the popcorn, not the butter!) but I wondered, did I use too much? Should the kernals be just coated in it and not actually have any to run off? Thanks!

AW said...

Okay...finally did this tonight. It's a hit! Can't believe it turned out so light and fluffy. Thanks Gayle!

If I keep this up, I might be making homemade laundry soap soon. LOL!

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

Thanks Gayle. Made this today after a request from my 6 year old and discovered we were out of the Orville kind. Sorry Orville... I'm cooking Gayle style from now on.