Sunday, January 20, 2008

Who Says You Can't Have Donuts For Breakfast?

My kids were begging me for donuts the other day and I just couldn't justify the extra bucks of going to get a dozen down at Winchells so I came across this recipe.


Baked Sugar Donuts


2 cans of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits

6 Tablespoons of melted margarine or butter

2/3 cup sugar


Heat oven to 375 degrees. Separate the biscuits, flatten each to a 2 1/2 inch round. With 1 inch round biscuit cutter, cut hole in center of each round. (I just did it by hand with a knife.) Dip all sides of biscuits and centers into butter, then into sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.



The best part?


This makes 20 donuts and 20 donut holes for 89 cents.

7 comments:

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

cool idea,did your kids like them!

Anonymous said...

MMmmm, that sounds good. We've tried ones with refrigerator biscuits that you deep fry in oil and then coat with powdered sugar. Your way sounds like a healthier donut :)

~Laura

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/duckygirl

Debi said...

I've tried doing donuts by frying in oil and they were a mess! This sounds like a much better alternative. Thanks for sharing. I just came upon your site recently and am really excited about it! :)

Debi

Trina said...

I will definitely be trying this. Thanks!!

Mum-me said...

I was so excited to see this recipe, but now I'm stumped. What are refridgerator biscuits? (I live in Australia).

Unknown said...

All this time I've been frying and shaking in cinnamon-sugar. I'm going to try this tomorrow morning - way better than frying!

I use my apple corer to cut the hole in the middle.

Jordon said...

OH this makes me excited! My daughter would love this!