Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mock Arizona Green Tea

We usually drink water with our meals because our bodies need it and it’s cheaper than milk or juice. But I love the Arizona Green Teas even though they are on the luxury side of my grocery list.

That side doesn’t get visited very often.

But I managed to find a few recipes online and combine them to get a taste that fools me (and my husband) into thinking I’m getting my Arizona fix.

Mock Arizona Green Tea

6 green tea bags
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 cups boiling water
¾ cup sugar
6 cups cold water
3 Tbs lemon juice

In a large glass measuring cup, place the tea bags and add the baking soda. (I tie the bags together and use a clothespin to keep the paper ends from falling inside)

Pour the boiling water over the tea bags. Cover and steep for 15 minutes.

Take out the tea bags and do not squeeze them.

Pour the tea into a 2 quart pitcher; add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

Add in the cold water and lemon juice.

Chill in the fridge and serve over ice.

I figured the price for 2 quarts at $1.61 and that was NOT using any sale prices that you might find out there.

The store bought version with the fancy green bottle costs $4.48 for an equivalent amount of 2 quarts.

You do the math!

Oh and if you try it, tell me what you think.

***The baking soda might seem strange, but it softens the natural tannins that cause an acid or bitter taste.

5 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

The blog makeover is fun! :) Springy!

I"ve never tried the Arizona Green Tea. Is it like Panera's iced green tea???? If so, I MUST try this!

justjuls said...

Okay - I have a mock green tea recipe on my blog - more the Lipton version. I have to know what the baking soda does? That sounds thoroughly disgusting.

carrie said...

cool idea...got anything to make mock diet chocolate cherry dr pepper?

Hungry Janey said...

I just made your Arizona Iced Tea yesterday, and it went over well in our house. Thanks for sharing!!

malm said...

I just made some iced tea over this weekend and it didn't last a day it was soooo good! Thanks for the recipe.