Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Beans Beans The Musical Fruit...Oh, You Know The Rest!

Want to save some money at the grocery store? Start adding dried beans to your cart.

Check these facts out…

One ½ cup serving of dried beans contains 6-7 grams of protein, large amounts of iron, potassium, and calcium, and costs about 20 cents.

So they are cheap and good for you.

And I’ve got so many in my cupboard that I don’t know what to do with them all.

I’ve been scouring the internet for good recipes that don’t make me feel like, “Oh no, not another bean recipe!” and have I got some goodies for you.

***Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for the gastrointestinal consequences of serving beans every night for dinner. For goodness sake only serve one bean recipe per week!


So this week I’ll be sharing some of the best bean recipes on the net or in my personal stash of recipes. You won’t be disappointed.

Hear are some basics about preparing beans….

First, cover the beans with water at room temperature. Soak them overnight or for 8 to 10 hours. Keep the beans covered by water while soaking. Be sure the soak water is at room temperature. Hot water may cause the beans to sour. Cold water slows rehydration and the beans will take longer to cook. Discard the soaking water. This removes most of the flatulent causing sugars. You’ll thank me for that.

And here is the first bean recipe of the week….

Crockpot Falafel at A Year Of Crockpotting.

The only changes are to use dried beans. (Much cheaper than canned) So just soak them overnight (at least 12-24 hours) drain them and jump right in with her directions. You’re gonna love these!

***oops, left out a very important step...to COOK the beans after draining by simmering in boiling water until tender. (1-2 hours).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love beans! I have heard (and tried with success) that soaking and/or cooking the beans with a little baking soda will cut down on the gas as well.

I have some favorite bean recipes up at my site! Click my name to see the recipes.

justjuls said...

Also if you serve beans with cornbread - it makes a complete protein - evidently more than eating a steak! Lower in fat too no doubt.

For the gastrointestinal part, you can use Bean-o - or one of my husband's old aunts told me that you cook your beans with a potato which evidently absorbs all the gas. We have had success using this method - but here is one little tip: don't eat the potato! ha ha -
My poor husband did once. It's more than music, it's the whole horn section of the high school marching band.
ha ha haha

Leanne said...

Wow, I went to the link and that recipe sounds/looks amazing!!

I love Greek food...

And this recipe looks like it fits right in with my special diet!

I'm trying it, I remembered I have a can of garbanzo beans that I was going to use for hummus out on the pantry...

And I heard that if you put a little bit of vinegar in the beans while they cook you won't get the stomach upset. I've never tried this, but it's worth a try. 2 TBSP or so.

Thanks for the recipe!!

Leanne

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

I'm so gonna do this. It's so hard to find vegetarian crock pot recipes that I only ever use mine for making all-day chili in the winter time.
Thanks. Any ideas on how to get a bean hating toddler to eat? The rest of us love beans!

Amanda said...

My scientific terminology professor once brought Pinto Bean brownies to class -- and you could not tell there were beans in them, I swear.

Here's the recipe using black beans. I'm sure it's an even exchange:

http://www.northarvestbean.org/html/recipe.cfm?ID=63