Monday, June 2, 2008

Weekly Shopping Trip

It’s been a while since I’ve done a post about my weekly shopping trip. Usually I’ve got just enough time to get home and shove it all in the cupboards before I have to be somewhere else. But today I had the time to set it on my table and snap a picture before I put it away.



2 lemons 1.38
Sour Cream 1.49
Dark Chocolate Bar .99
30 flour tortillas (must have been made of gold) 6.57
Bacon 1.69
Shredded Cheese 2.29
Instant Vanilla Pudding .39
Cream Cheese .99
Corn Tortillas 1.69
2 cans of chili 1.98
2 cans cream of chicken soup .78
2 jars of salsa 2.98
Jumbo Pack of Chicken Thighs 5.67
Buttermilk 1.48
2 bundles of fresh spinach 1.76
Guacamole 3.88
Roma Tomatoes 2.09
Whipping Cream 1.38
5 lb potatoes 1.38
2 onions .78
Apples 1.93
Unsalted butter 2.18
Margarine .73
2 cans green chilies 1.26
Cucumber .58
16 cans of veggies @ .39 each 6.24
2 cans of chili 1.18
2 boxes of pasta 1.58

Total 57.32

We have company for dinner 2 times this week thus the exotic ingredients like guacamole and I happened to find a bargain on canned veggies that were all dented for .39 cents a can and bought every single one that I thought we would eat. The bone in thighs will be boiled down until the meat falls off the bone. The meat will be saved for casseroles this week and the broth will be frozen for future use as a soup base.

Also remember that I am basing my menus off of what I already have in my cupboards so that my shopping will be as minimal as possible.

Here’s our menu…

Breakfasts

Crème Brulee Oatmeal
Buttermilk Doughnuts
German Pancakes
Eggs and Toast
Starbucks Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Muffins
Pancakes
Oatmeal

Dinners

Homemade Chicken Soup and Buttery Bread Machine Rolls
Baked Potato Bar with chili, cheese, sour cream, butter and Broccoli as choices
Chicken Fried Rice
Oven Fried Chimichangas, Spinach salad, and French Silk Pie (company)
Crockpot Falafel
Chicken Enchiladas and green salad (company)
Leftover Night


Lunches are usually leftovers or extremely simple. (ie: hard boiled egg, fruit, sandwiches,)

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Just found your blog through MPM! I'm adding to my list of favs because I'm feeding a family of 6 (3 adults, 3 kids) for about $75-$80 a week. Would love to get lower.

We just had the falafels last night! But I baked them instead of frying or using the crockpot.

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Your menu sounds really yummy! :)

Wow, I agree- the price on those tortillas is crazy! Have you tried making your own? (Hey, if you can do doughnuts, I know you can make tortillas!) :)

I'd love to try making falafels. I keep hearing about them!

Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com