Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Christmas Is Just Around The Corner

I know that just that sentence can send panic through women across the country. Especially if your money is tight right now and with the economy the way it is, that probably includes everybody.

But if your Christmas gifts are usually homemade or creatively hunted down then you have to start thinking early to get the most for your time and your bucks, right?

So I think I'm going to not only post my grocery budget but my Christmas ideas as well. Maybe it will ease the panic and help you get ready too.

And here's the first one.

I was cruising around online looking for something cute to make for some kids. It seems that not only do I have 2 baby showers this month but also 3 children's birthdays as well as a few others for adults. And the money just ain't there.

So I came across this cute miniature folk teddy bear pattern and fell in love. I made some minor adjustments by using old wool sweaters that I picked up at a Goodwill and then felted and stored away for just such a project. I also replaced the button eyes (choking hazard) with embroidered eyes. It took less than an hour to make one and they were very easy.

Here's my finished project with no out of pocket expense. The felting made them so soft and cuddly.



Maybe they might be an adorable low cost gift for someone on your list.

23 comments:

Kelly said...

Those are adorable!

Sarah said...

I love these!!! If only every member of my family would go for 'em...

onemotherslove said...

Those are cute! Any ideas on thrifty gifts for teenage boys?!?! (nephews)

Leslie said...

Oh my those are too cute!!! Please keep the ideas coming! I have a 14 month old girl and 6 year old boy. I think I am good for the boy but have nothing for the baby!

Susan in SC said...

These are so cute! Perfect presents! Thanks for sharing!!

Katy said...

Those are simply adorable! We have a couple youngsters to buy for this year and this will make it cheap and easy. I have been knitting hats like a crazy person as well! This year we are making Homemade Granola for our family members :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Amanda said...

I love this idea! I've been looking for some simple crafts and this would be easy enough sne something that would be well loved around here. Thanks for the post!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

very cute! i posted about things i'm making my youngest for christmas she is 2 here is my blog posts:

http://teachingtinytots.blogspot.com/2008/10/homemade-christmas-gifts.html

http://teachingtinytots.blogspot.com/2008/09/shape-dominoes.html

http://teachingtinytots.blogspot.com/2008/10/alphabet-puzzles-repost-link-to-where.html

i plan to post the finished project as a finish!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

forogt to say i love those bears i wish i could sew that good!!!!! i'm allergic to wool but you could make them out of fleece right??

Rhonda said...

Very, very cute!

handmade gifts are the best.

Terri said...

So Adorable!!!

I'm making homemade pillowcases for some christmas posts - i posted one in my blog awhile back.

love your posts

-Terri

WendyDarling said...

Those are very cute!! :-)

One year we made a journal and a journal jar for the nephew. We gave him stickers to decorate the outside cover of the floppy folder, and we decorated the jar with the journal entry ideas. It's a neat, inexpensive gift, especially if you have a child who likes to write. ;-)

Unknown said...

Those are absolutely adorable!!

mommanator said...

great idea. one of my baby nieces just may get one!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the blog love! I've gotten a lot of hits from you today :) Which makes MY day! I really appreciate it so much! Thanks again!
xoxo Missy

Terri Steffes said...

Seriously, those are the most adorable things... I think you could sell them to us and fund your Christmas! I'll take two!

Angie (mighty-nice) said...

OMGosh! You're amazing! My son (7) has a birthday party tomorrow and I bought the boy a Lego set. Well, when my son saw it he thought it was for him and opened it! UGH! Wish I had the energy to be as creative as you - instead I'll be trudging off to Wal-Mart to buy another Lego set that I can't afford! You're gifts are so thoughtful!

momstheword said...

These are way to cute! I'm glad you blogged on Christmas because I am going to be doing that soon, and now I won't be alone, LOL!

Janelle said...

I bought 100% wool sweaters at a thrift store, washed them in hot, and dried them. They didn't change at ALL! Talk about total disappointment! :( Oh well - guess I was just not meant to felt anything - I'll have to stick with regular fabric. I might give these a try as I think my girls would get a kick out of them. Thanks for posting the info!!

Halfmoon Girl said...

Those are the kind of gifts that I love. So sweet and simple AND environmentally friendly with all the recycling! You could sell those!

The Milkshake said...

Those are soooo cute!! :o)
Have a great day!
-Tessa

EEEEMommy said...

I'm hoping to make some presents this year too. Yikes!