Thursday, March 12, 2009

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

Sometimes I find fruit on sale for freakishly low prices. And now that the growing season is upon us, this will happen more frequently. And sometimes I find it at such a discount that I buy a lot, so much that we can't eat it all. When that happens I like to dry it for snacks. We've successfully done this with bananas, apples, pears, pineapple and cranberries. And its' such a yummy, healthy snack for the kids. So here's how you can do it too. It's so easy.

How To Dry Fruit In Your Oven
  • Wash and peel fruit and then cut into slices. If working with bananas, apples or pears soak in acidic juice (pineapple or lemon) to keep from turning brown.
  • Lay fruit on a parchment covered baking sheet, making sure that the pieces don't touch.
  • Place tray in oven and set oven for 200 degrees just enough to have a warm dry environment for the fruit. It takes several hours for it to dry.
  • Remove from oven when fruit is chewy, not crunchy or squishy.
So what's cooking at your house this week?


15 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you have to peel the apples and pears? Would it work OK if you left the peel on?

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea for using up fruit and much more economical than buying dried fruit at the store! Can't wait to try this.

Elizabeth
www.dealbetty.blogspot.com

Gayle said...

Yes, you can leave the skin on . It's just a preference thing for us.

SnoWhite said...

that's awesome! I've been wanting to make dried fruit, but without a dehydrator, I didn't know if it was possible. thanks for the information.

SnoWhite said...

two other questions...

How long do they keep? And, how do you store them?

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty easy, and I don't have to buy a food dehydrator! Great tip.
Toni

Heathahlee said...

I remember when I was little my Daddy would dry fruit...it was SO good! I need to try this!

km said...

Yeah! I finally remembered to post a recipe. I had to include something with Ramen. Maybe you can raid your boy's stash.

Chris and Annalisa said...

You have to try the BLT pasta I cooked this week. Sooooo good!!!

Emily @ Live Renewed said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! What an awesome way to use up fruit, save money, and eat healthy!! We will definitely be trying this soon. My daughter loves to eat fruit also loves fruit snacks, but this will be so much better for her.

Beth said...

This is so great! I've often wondered how to dry fruit at home without the expense of one of those large fruit drying machines. Thanks!

beth

Gayle said...

They keep several weeks in an airtight container.

Amanda from Faith, Food and Family said...

This is really good to know. I thought that you had to have a dehydrator. I will have to try this. Thanks so much!
God bless,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

how fun, I'm glad i found this!

SnoWhite said...

We made dried pineapple yesterday -- it was delicious. Thanks for sharing how easy this is!