Thursday, March 26, 2009

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap - Homemade Mixes

One of the biggest frugal buzzwords is "homemade". You just can't beat the savings when you can skip the need to pay for the labor, packaging or shipping. Plus the healthiness of home mixes far outweighs their store bought versions. And one of the most stained up, dog eared cookbooks in my cupboard is chock full of recipes for homemade mixes to make in large batches and keep in your cupboards for quick and easy use.

If you don't already have a copy of The Make-A-Mix Cookbook then go check it out at your local library or follow my link in the left sidebar under "I Recommend". Every frugal kitchen should have it. It has everything from spice mixes, Bisquick type mixes, homemade puddings, cake mixes and breads. And then there are all sorts of recipes from dinner to dessert that you can use your homemade mixes in. They are wholesome, quick and easy to put together. Here's one of my favorites.

Quick Mix (homemade Bisquick but better)

8 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups instant non-fat dry milk or buttermilk powder
2 1/4 cups vegetable shortening

Sift together dry ingredients. Use pastry cutter to cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal in texture. Put in airtight container. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool dry place. Use within 10 - 12 weeks. Makes about 13 cups.

This mix can be used for recipes that can be found in the book, like....

Super Duper Doughnuts
Morning Muffins
Quick Pancakes
Golden Cornbread
Rolled Biscuits
Curried Shrimp Rounds
Tuna Cheese Swirls
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
Apple Walnut Cake
English Griddle Scones

Just to name a few.

If you'd like to share a recipe:

PLEASE remember to link directly to your post, not your homepage.
PLEASE remember to provide a link from your post back to the Grocery Cart Challenge.

14 comments:

onemotherslove said...

I used a bisquick substitute from RecipeZaar.com today with sausage balls. All it called for was flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. They turned out great!

Lisa B. said...

Gayle your recipe is very similiar to a recipe of my grandmother's she clipped from a newspaper. Love the savings mixing up these myself. Thanks for sharing the info about the cookbook also.

Kari said...

I love the make a mix book. I have my husband's grandmother's copy, and it is well used. We especially love the Mexican meat mix in chimichangas, their always a hit!

Gloria P. said...

I am actually going to the library today and I will check it out. I have so many cookbooks.

COL said...

thanks! What a great resource to know about! I'll check it out of my library!

Heather@justdoingmybest said...

I just found your site and looking forward to checking out all these recipes!

More Love, Less Debt said...

I am breaking out of my little shell and posting. I cannot wait to sit here for hours and get some new fun recipe's. Thanks for the MIX recipe and book suggestion. It appears to be a must have. Especially when on a tight budget!

Halfmoon Girl said...

I am checking out that book too! Thanks Gayle. I like cooking in big batches and mixes.

Marcia said...

I wonder if you could use whole wheat flour in this if you kept it refrigerated?

Gayle said...

Have loved this book sense I was first married. When I move to AZ I had a chance to meet the authors. They have passed along additional tips in dinner prep. Sorry to say that two of the authors have passed away. Nevada Harward is a dear friend who continues to pass along frugal recipes, ideas and tips while teaching "home ec" at Centenial High School.

Stacy said...

Thanks for offering these links! For a blog that is still trying to increase my traffic, this has been very helpful.

Chrissy Shelton said...

I use this make a mix cookbook at least once a week. It's an excellent resource. The morning muffins are AMAZING! I add cranberries and it's out of this world...with a slab of butter of course! Love you Gayle! You're awesome!

Vicki said...

I can't wait to try your mix! I love saving money at the store and to make things homemade, so I am thrilled to have found your site!

Melissa said...

I've been using my MAM cookbook for eons! I have the original one that I snagged from my MIL and now I have the newer version. That is the one cookbook I can't live without!!