Thursday, July 2, 2009

Emergency...Come Pick These Raspberries!

My parents bought a new house with an amazing yard full of different types of berries and fruit trees. And as they experience their first summer, and find all the goodies that are planted there, I get to reap the benefits. Mom called today to help pick the raspberries as they were starting to fall on the ground. How could I resist?

We came home with a bucket full.

I knew that if I didn't do something with them quickly they would get nibbled until they disappeared. I scoured the cupboards and found 2 boxes of sure-jell, plenty of pint size jars with lids and enough sugar to do two batches of freezer jam. I did have to add some blueberries from the freezer to have enough berries for the second batch but, Oooh Baby, was it yummy.

Jam and jelly isn't usually on our menu so this is a big treat for us. It usually falls in the "want" category instead of the "need" category so it's so fun to have some put away.

I now have 4 pints of raspberry jam and 4 pints of raspberry/blueberry jam. I used the recipe off the box and it turned out great.


I feel like a rich woman.

12 comments:

Charlene said...

I made freezer jam last week with blackberries my husband picked from wild berry patches around his job site. I think it tastes better when you know you did it yourself!

Jennifer said...

I can see how those berries could get nibbled away until they're gone. They look absolutely delicous! Your pictures just scream SUMMER!

Hattie said...

Those look soooooo yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had homemade jam in years. That sounds so delicious!

Diane said...

I love freezer jam! I've found that Ball freezer jam pectin is easiest and cheapest and you don't even have to cook anything. Since it's cheaper and uses less sugar than the other pectin I've seen, it's a good way to save money too (and I'm sure it's healthier with only 1.5 cups of sugar per batch!). It's hard to find in stores though since it's often sold out when I look (if the store even carries it), but I found some today at Winco, so I'm excited! I just wish I had free raspberries to go with it. My parents have 16 blueberry bushes in their backyard that are very prolific, so in another month or so I'm sure I'll be making lots of blueberry jam! (I know this sounds like a product ad, but it's not as I have absolutely no connection with Ball. I just love their freezer jam pectin!)

Wonderfully Sew Knit said...

Don't you just love this time of year?!? I was gifted with 50 lbs of plums and made plum puffs for the freezer and three batches of jelly.

Sarah said...

Cussing this blasted diet I'm on. I need to quit looking at your blog!

Jackie said...

I just did some of that with strawberries a few weeks ago. Freezer jam is the best and it is so easy!

Heather said...

Yummy! Isn't making jam/jelly the best. Especially when its with free fruit :)

I've canned strawberry and rhubarb strawberry jam this summer already. Wonderful stuff and it makes my husband very happy. I love the little jars all lined up...so cute!

Heather

Karlene said...

My grandmother used to freeze her raspberries in a light syrup, they were wonderful! A great addition to any fruit salad.

WendyLou said...

Just an FYI to anyone who might be inspired to follow suit ... if you're doing freezer jam, you don't have to have jars. ANY container that's freezable will work. I usually buy plastic containers from the dollar store.

Gayle said...

That's right. I just used jars because that's what I had on hand. You can definately use plastic containers for this.