Monday, October 26, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

I love winter cooking. I rely a lot on fresh homemade soups. My family really likes a bowl of hot and hearty soup with a crusty loaf of bread for a meal. And soups can be healthy, easy to make and VERY frugal.

So when I came across a new soup cookbook I grabbed it up and I'll be adding one of the recipes to my meals this week. We'll be eating French Cream of Lentil Soup from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette. It's chock full of savory broths, soups, and creamy bisque's made from frugal everyday ingredients and organized according to seasonal produce every month. I totally love it!

I also have a few nights off for cooking so you'll see two less dinner meals than usual. One night the kids will be at Grandmas so Chris and I will just nibble from the fridge and another night we'll be attending a family birthday party.


Breakfasts

Banana Berry Smoothies
Oatmeal with pears and brown sugar
Pumpkin Muffins and fruit
Cream of wheat with sliced bananas
Pear and Almond Swedish Pancakes with homemade maple syrup
Scrambled eggs and toast
Leftover muffins or pancakes

Dinners

French Cream of Lentil Soup and Peasant Bread
Baked Pasta E Fagioli, Crusty French Bread

For more menu plans go HERE and to see how my shopping trip went check back tomorrow for a breakdown of my receipts.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The Simple Pot Roast sounds delicious.
Looks like you have a yummy week planned.
Have a great Halloween or Harvest Festival!

Sadie said...

The cream of lentil sounds delish! Please post the recipe if you get a chance... I'll have to keep an eye out for that book!

Jenelle said...

I'd love to see the lentil soup recipe as well.

ceu said...

I was introduced to Brother Victor by a devout Catholic friend who relied on his recipes for vegan dishes during Lent. (He uses eggs, cheese, fish and broth (or bouillon cubes) with a number of vegan dishes, as well)

Other friends then gushed about their copy of This Good Food while showing me their garden.

I snagged From a Monastery Kitchen and have enjoyed it.

Monastery Kitchen is also by season and has soups, main dishes desserts and salads - if this helps anyone who stumbles across it online and wants to know about the recipes.

I'm so glad you highlighted this book. Brother Victor is a wonderful resource for using veggies.

Anonymous said...

I am curiuos how the French lentil soup turns out. I am always on the lookout for bean & lentil recipes ?