Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap


A reader asked for my iced green tea recipe and it's really easy. But before I get to that I want to point out some great health reasons to have green tea readily available rather than the more common black tea. Researchers have found that a compound in green tea inhibits the growth of cancer cells There is also research that shows drinking green tea lowers cholesterol levels and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad. It's also believed to be helpful with rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease, infection and impaired immune function. It has Vitamin C, several B vitamins which are water soluble and quickly released, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, manganese, fluoride and it's full of antioxidants.

AND it has a nice mellow flavor.

Be aware that green tea does contain some caffeine. HERE is an article that tells you how much caffeine is in it as well as how to decrease it while you're brewing it.

So here's how to make ANY kind of iced tea.

Put 4 tea bags in a 2 quart pitcher. Pour about two inches of boiling water over the bags and put the lid on. Let set for 15 minutes to brew. After 15 minutes remove the tea bags (these can go directly in your compost). Resist the urge to squeeze them. If you do, you run the risk of making your tea bitter. Then fill your container with cool water and refrigerate. At our house we all have different sweetener levels so I don't pre-sweeten the tea. We sweeten it in our glasses with honey or sugar. With honey and a bit of lemon juice, it tastes a lot like Arizona Green Tea.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back to the Grocery Cart Challenge.

8 comments:

Susannah said...

Green tea is a favorite in our house... and I should try it iced! Have you tried English Twinings brand green tea? It's the best. Green tea is rumored to have weight loss properties... what's not to like?

Thanks for hosting. :~D

e-Mom @ Susannah's {Kitchen} Aprons

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

That's a great idea to make ice tea with green tea - it's nice to have something taste good and be good for you too!

Aubree Cherie said...

This green iced tea look gorgeous and also sounds like it would taste great. I hope I can try it :)

~Aubree Cherie

Naomi said...

So, do you use four plain green tea bags, or have you played around with different teabag combinations?

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I just recently started drinking a raspberry pomegranate green tea. It is yummy! :D

Have a great day!
Sherry

Cate said...

Hmm, I should try making some green iced tea! Normally we drink regular black iced tea (and nothing could make me give that up), but I don't really like hot green tea--maybe we'll enjoy it cold?

Gidget Girl Reading said...

after they did some research they have found that black tea has many of the same benefits as green tea.

we like and have both in the fridge at all times :)

Maddy said...

At first glance, I thought the photo was of a pitcher of margaritas. I have to admit I'm much more a fan of margaritas than green tea. But yes, green tea is MUCH healthier. I should give it a try. ;) I really enjoy your blog.