Friday, August 20, 2010

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap


Ahh. Finished all my finals yesterday. No school for a month. Slept in today for the first time in weeks and then made our favorite French Toast Recipe for breakfast. I don't think I've cooked a real breakfast for the last 8 weeks and you know how I usually make a big deal over my favorite meal of the day. I also realized that I haven't done a good scrub of my house all quarter either (blech). I've tidied and had the kids run the vacuum and sweep but it seems like my house will only get cleaned on breaks. That's gross but I'm going to happily don my rubber gloves today and dig in before I'm off to have coffee with friends this afternoon. And then tomorrow, a day at the beach....feet in the sand, snooze in the sun, read a good book and let the lonely kid play in the surf before all the other kids come back from vacation on Sunday.

Good Life.


The Best French Toast Ever

4 eggs
2/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
6 slices thick bread (we use Texas Toast or slice a loaf of Italian bread 1" thick)
3 tablespoons butter

Mix together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Heat a large skillet or griddle and melt a tablespoon of the butter in it. Dip bread in batter for 30 seconds on each side. Let the extra drip off and cook each slice for around 2 minutes on each side. Use more butter to cook the rest of the slices. We serve with fresh berries or butter and syrup.


Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage and please include a link back here to the Grocery Cart Challenge.

Have a GREAT weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, I haven't had french toast in awhile. Sounds delish!

Susannah said...

French toast... a perennial favorite in our house too, especially with cinnamon!

Blessings, e-Mom @ Susannah's {Kitchen}

Glenda: Busy-at-Home said...

Yum, Gayle! It looks delicious and so I am off to add another of your recipes to my file. :) I have made 2 batches of your No Bake Peanut Butter Bars in the last two weeks and I'm even going to blog about them. Thanks for always being so generous with your delicious and frugal recipes!