Thursday, October 21, 2010

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap


My friend Emily keeps exclaiming over her homemade applesauce. So one day last week I went to visit her and the minute I walked in I noticed she had the yummiest candle burning. Come to find out it was a batch of applesauce she was cooking in her crockpot. Holy Moly did it smell good! So I came home and gave it a shot and it blows the grocery store stuff out of the water. So I don't know if this is the recipe she used but this is one I found on Food.com and it was amazing stuff.

Crockpot Applesauce

  • 4 lbs apples, cored and sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup water
Mix apples (about 12 cups) with cinnamon and sugar and put into crock pot. Pour water and lemon juice over apples. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please link back here to The Grocery Cart Challenge.

12 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love homemade applesauce! I've already made it several times this year, I just haven't gotten around to posting it yet! Thanks!

Unknown said...

It's slow cooker season! I just made my own applesauce last week. It's amazing, delicious, and smells wonderful!

Melodie said...

I just made my own juice from some apples off our tree. It was delicious. I love this time of year. Thanks for hosting!

Susannah said...

We're both thinking crockpots today. Your applesauce sounds lovely!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Yum, that applesauce sounds lovely. There is nothing like the smell of something wonderful cooking when you walk into the house!

Ott, A. said...

I have made lots of applesauce this fall as we picked a lot of apples. I can mine and we eat it all winter long, and save lots of money doing so. thanks for hosting, as I was happy to link up my easy chicken and cheese enchiladas.

Becky said...

Looks delicious! I've never made my own applesauce, but have always been curious about it. I have a couple questions, maybe you or your other commenters can help me? 1. The directions say "sliced thinly". Does this turn it out as a chunkier applesauce? Or do they just break down into the apple-goo as they cook? and 2. Financially, is it really cheaper than store-bought? Or does it just taste better? When I see the price of apples so high, it always made me wonder if it would be cheaper or not.

K @ Prudent and Practical said...

I love homemade applesauce. I have not made it in a crock pot yet, so I need to try that. Thanks for hosting!

dining tables said...

Homemade is always the best! I just love it because you will definitely feel the homey sensation in it.

Miki said...

My kid's new favorite recipe is Strawberry Applesauce! I just canned about 40 pints of is these last 2 weeks.

Mix 8 c. unsweetened applesauce (homemade or store-bought) add 1 c.sugar & 1 pkg. of strawberry jello.

My girls don't really care for regular plain applesauce but they LOVE this stuff!

The Girl with the Golden Quill said...

Any recommendations for what kind(s) of apples to use? I am not very good at figuring out what kind to use for baking/cooking but would love to try this recipe! :)

Gayle said...

My apple recommendation is The Cheapest and then adjust the sugar to taste. BUT, granny smith's are a nice tart apple.