Thursday, October 14, 2010

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

I have a daughter who has decided she is a vegetarian and let me tell ya, it's one thing when you're occasionally doing it to save money and a completely different and more difficult thing when you're trying to feed a teenage girl in a way that appeals and provides nutrition in vegetarian form. But we came across this great book....



And we've found some delicious recipes that fit the bill and my pocket book. So this week I'm posting one of the recipes we tested out this week. It scored high on my daughters yummy-scale.

Broccoli Cheddar Puff

5 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 1/4 cups milk
8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (2 cups)
20 ounces frozen chopped broccoli thawed and squeezed dry
7 eggs separated
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs

In a four quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Cook 1 minute, stirring. Gradually add milk and cook until it boils and thickens, stirring frequently. Stir in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli. In a small bowl lightly beat eggs yolks. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese sauce. Gradually pour egg yolk mixture into cheese sauce stirring rapidly to prevent curdling. Cool slightly. Preheat oven to 325. Grease shallow 3 1/2 quart ceramic casserole or 13" by 9" glass baking dish. In microwave safe bowl heat remaining butter until melted swirling bowl once. Add bread crumbs and stir until combined. In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold one third of whites into cooled cheese mixture. Fold cheese mixture gently back into remaining whites. Pour mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle crumbs over top. Bake until top is browned and knife inserted in center comes out clean. (about 40 minutes) Serve warm.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage and please include a link back here to the Grocery Cart Challenge.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the broccoli cheddar puff -- almost anything with cheese wins big votes in our house! Thanks for hosting this blog hop again this week!

Susannah said...

Broccoli-Cheddar... perfect for this time of year! Thanks for the reminder!

e-Mom @ Susannah's {Kitchen}

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

This sounds like a lovely recipe, and a great book. I love trying new vegetarian options.

Create With Joy said...

Hi Gayle,

I found your blog thru Brenda's Canadian Kitchen and I am joining the hop for the first time! Thanks so much for hosting. I have also signed up as a new follower. I hope you'll visit and join me over at Create With Joy!

Your recipe sounds delicious; I am looking forward to exploring the rest of your site!

Hugs
Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love anything with broccoli! This sounds good, thanks!

Maria said...

With a vegetarian girl here at my bouse, I've been looking for the right cook book. I'll check this one out! THANKS!!

Karen @ Abundance on a Dime said...

A vegetarian cookbook I like with quick and easy recipes is "The Teen's Vegetarian Cookbook" by Judy Krizmanic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting!

Inspired2cook said...

Happy Friday! Thanks for hosting!

Wendy said...

New to your blog and carnival. Thanks for hosting.

Wendy
Around My Family Table

Unknown said...

One of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks is called The Clueless Vegetarian. The recipes have variety and are reliably delicious (and are not too "weird" for the less adventurous), and it is written from a no-nonsense Mom perspective - really reminds me of you. I would recommend it to anyone who needs ideas for meatless meals.