Thursday, January 6, 2011

GCC Recipe Swap!

I came across a recipe the other day and tried it out of curiosity. We've been battling a virus around here and I was looking for stuff to boost our immune system. It turns out it's a weight watchers recipe and really low in calories which is always a bonus, but my expectations weren't very high. It sounded too easy, too simple. But boy was I surprised at how rich, tasty and nutritious it turned out to be. So here's the recipe with a few of my own adjustments. A 1 cup serving is only 21 calories and the onion and garlic are a great immune booster. The kids and I don't like big chunks of veggies so I kept the carrots in chunks but put all the other veggies into my food processor until they were tiny. It still turned out a thick soup so full of veggies it was almost like a stew. We scarfed it down with some fresh homemade rolls. I'm going to make a second batch to put in my freezer.

Veggie Soup

3 cans nonfat beef broth
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Spray pot with nonstick cooking spray and saute onions, carrots and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the spinach) and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes or until veggies are tender and serve. Freezes well.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back here to the Grocery Cart Challenge.


e-Mom said...

Your linky is up early! Thanks for hosting, as always.

Warm nutritious soup was on our menu this week too... chicken tortilla soup. Your "smells" delicious!

21st Century Housewife© said...

This recipe sounds lovely - and we are battling a virus in our house too so your timing is perfect. Thanks for sharing it, and for hosting. Happy New Year!

Lorie said...

Yep its a Weight Watchers recipe with 0 points. I think some people call it 0 point soup, lol

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

Your soup sounds fantastic. Always looking for new soup recipes. I bet it would work well in a slow cooker too. Thanks for sharing and for hosting.