Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - Homemade Febreeze


Have I every mentioned that I have not only 1 VERY clean daughter but 3 dirty little boys. They always have dirty feet and sticky hands, and PB and J hanging from the sides of their mouths. Well, O.K. the almost 13 year old isn’t like this anymore but the 8 and 4 year old are dirty little buggers.

And of course, that dirt and the smell that goes along with it get transferred to my carpets and couches. Yeah, I spot clean but sometimes the smell of boy sticks to the fabric. My old answer was a good ole bottle of magical Febreeze. And for two days the furniture would smell delightful. But dang it, Febreeze is expensive.

So the new answer? This recipe for Homemade Febreeze...

2-4 Tablespoons fabric softener ( I use my homemade stuff that can be used as a liquid or dryer sheet)
25 ounces of water
My old Febreeze bottle or another spray bottle

Mix together and spray on carpets, furniture, pillows, etc. to get rid of stinky boy or dirty dog smell. (They are very similar in my opinion.)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so expensive!! So, yes, I will try this out.

MOMMY said...

I MUST give this a try!!!
We just got a puppy last month and the smell drives me crazy-I have used baking soda on the carpets everyday and it is better but I hate to spend the money on Febreeze-thanks so much for the idea!!!!
My husband has a bottle of liquid fabric softener downstairs I will steal and make some up tonight.
Aimee
http://journalofamomma.blogspot.com/2008/07/5-or-less-ingredient-recipes.html

Ariel said...

What a great idea! My husband loves to Febreeze everything!! so this will be helpful to keep costs down. Thank you!

Duckygirl said...

I have some of that homemade fabric softener all made up so I will try using it for this...thanks for the idea!!

-Laura

Wani said...

thanks! I'm surrounded by boys (two little - one grown!) so I can sure use this!

Deanna said...

I am giving this a try. I just received a sample of fabric softener but can't use it on my clothes because I am allergic to it. WHAT A FIND!

Terri said...

What a great idea! I'll be sure to give it a try. I too am surrounded by the smell of boys!! A baby, toddler and bigger one aka hubby!

Holly Tried It said...

What a great idea! Just one question. Does this every feel sticky on fabric? Do you have a recipe for the Febreeze that removes dog allergens?

Sarah Taylor said...

Oh I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing such a great homemade alternative!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! We like Febreeze too, but don't like the cost. I'll have to try this! Thanks for the tip.

Stephanie
http://thecoupongame.blogspot.com

Christine said...

I am very curious how this is working for you. Fabric softener is quite oily and dirt attracts to it faster than with stuff without it. How are you guys liking it?

Amanda said...

Gayle, You are such an inspiration. Your tips are hitting the mark at the moment and solving household and budget problems for me. Keep up your wonderful work.
I can't believe that I've finally found homemade Febreeze just what I need with 2 boys, 1 puppy and 4 cats.
I don't suppose you know how to make those lovely yet really expensive oil air fresheners that you leave with the sticks poking out of?

Angela said...

Seriously? It's that simple? As a self-admitted Febreeze addict, I am surely going to try this!

happyhome said...

Made the Febreeze with a new Downy scent and my whole house smells amazing! OK, so maybe I used a bit much...

Found a new use for it I thought I would pass along. Since it is mostly water, I used it to clean my granite counter tops. Shined them up beautifully with no filmy residue and guess what? My kitchen smells great! Thanks Gayle!

Emster said...

I know this is an older post but I just found it! Thank you for the directions. This works so well. You have given me so many good ideas since I started reading your blog.