Thursday, January 6, 2011

GCC Recipe Swap!


I came across a recipe the other day and tried it out of curiosity. We've been battling a virus around here and I was looking for stuff to boost our immune system. It turns out it's a weight watchers recipe and really low in calories which is always a bonus, but my expectations weren't very high. It sounded too easy, too simple. But boy was I surprised at how rich, tasty and nutritious it turned out to be. So here's the recipe with a few of my own adjustments. A 1 cup serving is only 21 calories and the onion and garlic are a great immune booster. The kids and I don't like big chunks of veggies so I kept the carrots in chunks but put all the other veggies into my food processor until they were tiny. It still turned out a thick soup so full of veggies it was almost like a stew. We scarfed it down with some fresh homemade rolls. I'm going to make a second batch to put in my freezer.

Veggie Soup

3 cans nonfat beef broth
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Spray pot with nonstick cooking spray and saute onions, carrots and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the spinach) and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes or until veggies are tender and serve. Freezes well.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back here to the Grocery Cart Challenge.

4 comments:

e-Mom said...

Your linky is up early! Thanks for hosting, as always.

Warm nutritious soup was on our menu this week too... chicken tortilla soup. Your "smells" delicious!

April J Harris said...

This recipe sounds lovely - and we are battling a virus in our house too so your timing is perfect. Thanks for sharing it, and for hosting. Happy New Year!

Lorie said...

Yep its a Weight Watchers recipe with 0 points. I think some people call it 0 point soup, lol

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

Your soup sounds fantastic. Always looking for new soup recipes. I bet it would work well in a slow cooker too. Thanks for sharing and for hosting.