- When a baking recipe calls for oil I sub it with home canned sugar free applesauce
- I sub sour cream with plain yogurt
- I sub whipping cream/whole milk/buttermilk with low fat reconstituted powdered milk
- I leave out a lot of the salt called for
- When a recipe calls for onion, green pepper, green chilies, spinach, zucchini or some other vegetable that the kids might balk at I puree it and then throw it in. Out of sight, out of mind.
- Even if a recipe DOESN'T call for a veggie I either grate or puree one and throw it in anyway. A lot of my sweet muffins have hidden carrot, pumpkin, or zucchini in them. The kids have no idea.
- In baking I sub an egg for 1 Tbs soy flour and 2 Tbs water
- I can't afford to shop for low fat, organic ingredients but if I catch it on sale I always choose them over the regular stuff.
So here's the plan for the week....keep in mind all the substitutions that can be used.
Buttermilk Doughnuts with chocolate glaze and banana smoothies
Poached eggs and toast
Yogurt, Granola and Fruit Parfaits
Homemade Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Peasant Bread
BBQ Chicken Legs, Cornbread, Green Salad
Rosemary White Beans, Steamed Broccoli
Runza and sliced fruit
Quiche Lorraine and sliced fruit