Thursday, October 28, 2010

Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap

So I had a question this week about the serious lack of coffee in our grocery shopping. Remember those awesome whole bean Starbucks deals I used to find? Well, hubs decided it was time to quit. It was pretty excessive (pot a day all to himself) and he was on a detox and health kick. So that explains the lack of coffee in my grocery pictures. I'm not a big coffee drinker so when I feel like I want a treat I'll hit up Starbucks and buy myself some coffee completely diluted with vanilla or pumpkin spice or salted carmel so that I can't even taste the coffee. That's the way I like mine: milk and sweetener with a drop of coffee!

This week I've got a great recipe. Fall and winter bring out the cozy in my family. We cuddle up in front of the fire and drink cider or cocoa almost every night. But, our all time favorite drink is one of the easiest. You can find it in a neat little book called Homespun Memories for the Heart: More Than 200 Ideas to Make Unforgettable Moments


Hot Cherry Pie Drink

64 ounces cranberry juice
2 tablespoons almond extract
cinnamon sticks

In a slow cooker combine juice and extract. Heat on low for 2 hours and serve warm with a cinnamon stick in your mug.


Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Please link directly to your post, not your homepage, and please include a link back here to the Grocery Cart Challenge.

9 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Sounds delicious! Warm and comforting! I could use that now, I'm FREEZING!

Melodie said...

I linked up a Halloween recipe that is fun to make with the kids and is actually pretty healthy I think. I used fancy chocolate in my recipe but you can use chocolate chips, white, milk or dark. Whatever you like. Enjoy and thanks for hosting!

Susannah said...

I've been drinking cranberry juice for an issue "down south." Works like a charm (w/ garlic caps.) Your warmed juice recipe sounds so good, especially w/ the cinnamon.

Thanks for hosting!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Yum! I think I have that book, actually. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to go dig around and see if I can find it. :)

Blessings,
Michele

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

That sounds like a lovely, warming drink - quite mouthwatering in fact! I like the idea of using the cinnamon stick in it as well! Thanks for hosting and have a lovely weekend.

Shannon said...

Yummy! This is on my make soon list.

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

I love your crock pot drink idea. Anything with almond extract has to be good. Thanks for the inspiration and as always thanks for hosting.

Life Goes On said...

Sounds good but would not go good around here. Hubby would not drink it. A while back I was adding cranberry juice to my bottle watered was suppose to help you lose weight for some reason. May have to just make a small warm cup of cranberry juice just for me. I love my coffee with lots of flavored coffee mate
Off the subject made your cream cheese potatoe soup this week.. Oh my the BEST thanks

Amanda said...

I made this today, and it is super yummy. No one else seems to taste the Cherry in it, but I think it tastes just like a tart cherry pie filling.